We hope you have had a relaxing weekend. Here is the work for the week - we are missing you loads!
This week look a little bit different to normal weeks, as it is DT week!!! I am sure you are very disappointed not to be in school, but hopefully you can do some designing and building at home too.
Any problems, just email Mrs Hughes: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday: In school, we are going to be making fairground rides that are powered by electronic equipment - a motor and battery. Now, as you probably won't have these at home, you might have to adapt your design.
1. Look for inspiration!
- This is the first thing that designers do - they look at other designs.
- Create a PowerPoint on BGFL showing loads of different fairground rides - helter scelter, tea cups, carousel or maybe a big wheel.
- Make a list under each picture explaining the materials they have used and who is the ride aimed for.
- Look at the PowerPoint saved below for help.
- A video all about design: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/zqbpyrd
Tuesday: Your design!
- Decide which fairground you would like to make.
- Sketch out your own design on paper - think about the materials you might use, for example: for the big wheel, you might use 2 paper plates to create the wheel part. You might also use long sticks to hold up the wheels. How much you get it to rotate?
- A video all about different materials: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/zp79wmn
Wednesday and Thursday: Get making!!!
- Think about your resources - you will have to use what you have around the house, for example: lego, cupboard boxes, pencils, sticks from the garden.
- Consider what colour it will be.
- Can you make it rotate?
- Have a look at the pictures below for inspiration.
- List 3 things that you think are really successful about your design.
- List 3 things that you think could be better about your design.
- Make a questionnaire to ask your family too.
Extra: DT also involves cooking!
Spend 20 minutes a day trying to beat your top score.
- Reading Planet: https://my.risingstars-uk.com/Default.aspx?cid=DL199591
- Read to a parent or guardian EVERY day for 20 minutes.