St John's C of E Primary School

"Use your God-given gifts to serve others." 1 Peter 4: 10


St John's School is a Church of England primary school with a distinctively Christian ethos. This underpins the values of the school and reflects its nature: to serve others with love. The school's purpose is to serve the community of Sparkhill by providing each child with the education they need to flourish and each family the support they need to thrive. St John's is a church school where every child is welcomed, valued and loved. It's a place where children can grow in, and reflect on their own faith- no matter what that may be- and learn to respect the beliefs, opinions and lifestyles of others. 


The simplest way to apply for a place at St John's CE Primary School is to call the office on 0121-675-1469 and make an appointment. The friendly office staff will then explain the process to you.


The three most common reasons for applying are for:


1. Your child starting Nursery in September of the academic year in which they turn 4.

2. Your child starting Reception in September of the academic year in which they turn 5.

3. In-year (starting any year group at any time during the school year because you are changing school)


The details of how to apply can be found in our Admissions form below.


If you are applying for a Reception place starting in September, you will need to fill in the Local Authority Form which is on-line, use this link to apply for 3 schools -

If you are applying for a Nursery or in-year place (any year group), you will need to fill out the Admission form which is in Appendix 1 of the Admissions Policy.


For all applications, you might also need to fill out a Supplementary Information Form (Appendix 2 in the policy). This is only if if you are applying for a place and have siblings at the school, or are in regular attendance at a church.


If you come into school to collect an Application Form or Supplementary Information Form, please bring with you, your child's original passport OR birth certificate and proof of your address; e.g council tax or utility bill.


If you are not the home owner, we require the home owners council tax bill, together with a letter listing the family names who live in the house, we also would like to see two other items of proof, e.g driving licence, child tax credit, bank statement, tenancy agreement, wage slip, child's doctors medical card.


If your child does not have a school place, we recommend you contact Birmingham City Council on telephone number 0121-303-1888 or visit They will try to find a school place for your child/children. 


Please complete appendix 1 & the supplementary form if you are Christian (your minister/vicar will need to sign this) or if you have a child currently attending our school

Admissions Policy 2023-24

Admissions Policy 2024 - 25

Admissions Policy 2025-26

Open days - for those parents interested in their children joining our Reception in September 2024.

We will show you round our school and answer any questions you may have.



2nd October 23 - 9.30am - 10.30am,

                            2pm - 3pm


8th December 23 - 9.30am - 10.30am

                               2pm - 3pm

Appeal Form

Children due to start INFANT (Reception), PRIMARY (Reception) class in September 2024

National Primary Offer Day 


16 April 2024

Deadline for lodging appeals


14 May 2024

Appeals received by 14 May 2024


will be heard in June and July 2024 (and by 17 July 2024)


Appeals received after 14 May 2024

(late appeals)

will be heard in June and July 2024 where practicable, or within 30 school days of the appeal being lodged (whichever is later), where practicable. 


Please note that it may not be possible to hear late appeals before the start of the new school year in September 2024.

Appeals are not heard during school holidays.


In-year Admission Appeals


If your child has been refused a place at one of your preferred schools (primary or secondary) outside the normal round of admissions (ie at any time other than as above), you may appeal within 20 school days of the refusal of the place. Your appeal will be heard within 30 school days of being lodged.  Appeals are not heard during school holidays.