Weekly Learning Project Introduction - My viewpoint 1 of 2
Weekly Learning Project Introduction - My viewpoint - Part 2
Shark in the park
Small world play - viewpoints
What do you like doing in the park?
Draw a car
Comparing viewpoints (front and back windows)
Making a telescope out of loo rolls
Make a telescope like the one Timothy Pope has in Shark in the Park.
ACTIVITY SUGGESTIONS that your child might do...and how they link to Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Choose an activity.
- Choose materials to make a telescope or binoculars.
- Decide what tools to use to create a picture or model (e.g pens and scissors).
- Tell a family member or friend what they have been doing.
- Carry out real or make believe tasks (e.g this could be pretending to deliver letters or actually setting the table).
- Ask and answer questions about what they have seen in the street or heard in a story.
- Describe themselves positively. This could be a great thing to do while chatting or you could encourage it when they are drawing a picture of themselves.
Managing feelings and behaviour
- Talk about their own feelings.*
- Talk about what their body feels like when they have the different feelings.
- Talk about the feelings of characters in the book - It's likely that you'll need to model this e.g. 'I think Timothy feels proud because he helped to save the baby.'
- Try and offer help and comfort others (this can be in real life and in pretend play).
- Play turn taking games.
*Tantrums are very usual at this age and even more during this unsettled time. Talking about feelings after a child ha calmed down after a tantrum can help them process what is going on.
Making relationships (This play can be with others or alone as your child is 'practising' for real life and using their imagination)
- Act out part of the story.
- Use a telescope to 'spot danger'.
- Pretend to be the dad in the story. Help someone out. Look after Timothy Pope.
- Pretend to be a shark.
- Pretend to be someone they see e.g a postal worker.
- Pretend to drive a car.