PANDEMIC VIRUS PLAN March 2020
In line with the recommendation from the Department for Education and Public Health England the School has developed the following plan:
The aim of the plan is to: -
• put in place robust systems and procedures to respond to a pandemic and minimise the impact on both staff and children
• develop measures to help maintain essential services and cope with the additional burden a pandemic will place on the school
• help to maintain the health and safety of all staff and pupils
• help to maintain a healthy environment for both staff and pupils
• inform parents/carers of new information in a timely manner
Possible Reasons for Full or Partial Closure
Parents/Carers will be provided with up to date information through ParentMail, and on our website- www.st-johns-pri.bham.sch.uk
It is important for parents/carers to ensure that if their children are displaying symptoms, that they keep their child at home and that they inform the school. Government guidelines must be followed, based on the Government Action Plan stage.
Staff will be notified by emergency meetings and through ParentMail.
PARENTS/CARERS MUST ENSURE THAT ALL THEIR CONTACT DETAILS ARE UP TO DATE AND THAT THEY HAVE ACCESS TO OUR WEBSITE AND OUR APP
If you do not have access to a tablet/ laptop or computer, please let us know so that we can arrange for paper-based work to be sent to you.
How we can minimise the spread of infection:
Parents/Carers need to inform the school as soon as possible about the reason for their child’s absence. Children displaying symptoms should stay at home.
All children who have visited an at risk area are to inform the school ASAP, so that the school can see what the appropriate action should be.
You should think carefully about whether or not to travel abroad.
We use PSHE lessons and Assemblies to inform children about the importance of good hand washing habits and the importance of using a tissue to sneeze into. We also use modelling, demonstrating, posters and give regular reminders to reinforce these messages.
Possible Scenarios for St John’s CE School:
Full Closure – this would be under Government advice.
During this time, we will be setting daily work:
The exception to this is if teachers themselves are too unwell to carry out these tasks.
Partial Closure of school – This would happen due to the following:
• High number of staff absence – teaching and non-teaching
• A suspected outbreak if advised by Public Health England or the local authority.
Closure of Breakfast Club
This would happen if we had insufficient staff to supervise.
Please note this plan may be updated in-light of any new instructions/guidance issued
I will keep you informed of any developments as soon as I am made aware of any.
Thanks and best wishes,