St John's C of E Primary School


There are lots of acronyms in education! Here is an explanation of some of the ones you might be about to see:


SEND = Special Educational Needs & Disabilities

SENDCo = Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Coordinator (the teacher that is in charge of leading SEND)

ASC = Autism Spectrum Condition

ADHD = Attention and Hyperactivity Disorder

CAT = Communication and Autism Team

OT = Occupational Therapist

EP = Educational Psychologist

EHCP = Education, Health and Care Plan

SEMH = Social, Emotional, Mental Health

ELSA = Emotional Literacy Support Assistant


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Report.


St John's CE School is a fully inclusive school. We support all of our children to reach their full potential academically. We also encourage children to make progress socially, personally, morally and spiritually; regardless of their gender, ethnicity, religion, social background, sexual identity, physical ability or educational needs.


You can find our SEND policy, Accessibility Plan and Equality Policy on our website. This page is to show you some of the ways we support our children, including those with SEND.


1. If you are worried about your child’s progress or development, who is the best person to talk to about my child's difficulties with learning?

Our school’s Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo) is called Mrs Ringham. You can make an appointment to talk to Mrs Ringham by calling school on 0121 675 1469 or email her on


2. How are children identified as having Special Educational Needs?

Children are identified as having SEND when their progress slows or stops and the interventions and/or resources that have been put in place to support them do not enable improvement.  We work in partnership with parents to identify behaviours or barriers to learning through the following:

- Observations

- A child's work

- Test results

- Information from parents

- Information from previous school or educational setting

- Specialised assessments carried out by school's support services

- Information sent to us by medical agencies outside school e.g. a paediatrician/ psychologist.


3. What kind of special educational needs provision is made at St John’s?

If your child is identified as having a special need, we will discuss this with you. We then follow a graduated approach to support. We will assess the child's needs, plan a response, carry this out and then review it. Changes may be made if the planned intervention/support is ineffective.


We have children in our school with a wide range of special educational needs, some of which are complex. We make provision for :

* Communication and Interaction Needs. This includes needs associated with: Autistic Spectrum Conditions, Speech & Language delay, Communication difficulties.

*Social, Emotional, Mental Health (SEMH) Needs. This includes additional needs around behaviour, social support groups, emotional well-being.

* Sensory and Physical Needs. These are needs such as hearing impairment, physical needs, medical issues.


We support children within the classroom in many different ways eg. high quality teaching, additional adult support in small groups, sensory areas, visual timetables.


We also have a Learning Hub where children can access different support, for example: academic groups, social groups, Lego therapy. We also have a sensory room in the Hub. Our SENDCo teaches children in the Hub and is supported by two inclusion Support Assistants.


We work with several outside agencies, such as the school nursing service, occupational therapists, the Communication & Autism Team, Educational Psychologists and Speech & Language therapists. All of our staff are Level 1 Autism trained and key staff are trained in Level 2.


We make use of different resources to support our children. For example Now/Next boards, easy grip pencils, Ipads and weighted lap pads.


We aim for all of our children to feel like a full member of our school, no matter what their special need may be. We teach our children that "it is good to be different, and it is good to be me."


4. How can I be involved in my child's learning and development?

We are always pleased to see parents and if you have any concerns, please come into school and discuss them with us.


We will also offer you:

* meetings with the SENDCo, class teacher and any support staff that work with your child.

* access to your child's Needs Based Plan, Behaviour Plan or One-Page profile so that you can see what they are working on and how they are doing.

* Parents' Evenings (the SENDCo is always available for appointments in the Learning Hub during parents' evening)

* Parent coffee mornings/ drop ins.

* SEND workshops


5. What sort of provision is available to support my child?

* Lego therapy

* Social skills groups/ Friendship groups

* 1:1 support with targeted intervention for the identified need

* Small group teaching in the Learning Hub

* Support from an Inclusion Support Assistant

* Time to Talk sessions 

* Occupational Therapy consultation

* Speech and Language support

* Time with our Emotional Literacy Support Assistant

* Behaviour Support planning


6. What external agencies do we work with at St John's?

We work hard to get the best advice we can to support the children in our care, whilst ensuring we can balance the budget.

* Beacon Behaviour Consultants (Behaviour)

* Children's Therapy Solutions (Occupational Therapy)

* School nurse (surgery in school every two weeks)

* CAT (Communication and Autism Team)

* Educational Psychologist (EP)

* Speech & Language therapist


7. How do we measure your child's progress?

We measure progress against their individual targets, and we will review these with you at your SEND review. Their progress will also be tracked on our school's assessment and progress tracking system. Children are assessed continually throughout school, using observations, marking of work and questioning.


8. What support do we offer for parents of children with SEND?

Parenting is the hardest job in the world, and we aim to support all of our families through our open-door policy.


Our Headteacher, Carolyn Seymour, and our Deputy Headteacher, Naomi Hedges, are always outside to welcome families in the mornings and at the end of school. You are always welcome to talk to us then, or make an appointment for a mutually convenient time. 


Our SENDCo, Lisa Ringham, is also available in school from Monday to Thursday. She can be contacted on 0121 675 1469 or via email:


Alternatively, our Emotional Literacy Support Assistant and Parent Advisor, Karen O'Keefe is available to meet parents every morning between 8.45-9.30am. You can drop in, or make an appointment to see her at a mutually convenient time by ringing 0121 675 1469.


We also run a variety of parent workshops and coffee mornings, specifically for parents of children with SEND. We find that having time to chat with parents in a similar position can be very encouraging and useful.


9. How are the staff in school trained to work with children with SEND?

We believe that all our staff should be able to support children with SEND. We have training on a variety of medical and other special needs annually. We have training on autism, ADHD, occupational therapy, epi-pen and allergy training, and training to help teachers support children in the classroom. If a child enters our school with a need that we do not currently have expertise in, we will ensure training is given to staff as soon as possible.


10. How is the school made accessible to children with SEND?

There are ramped entrances to St John's School, along with a lift to the first floor classrooms. We have first aid rooms in all areas of the school and a disabled toilet on the ground floor.


All children have access to our school visits, after-school clubs and any other extra-curricular activities. Where possible and appropriate, reasonable adjustments will be made to ensure all children can be fully included in all activities.


We have a Learning Hub which contains a sensory room.


11. How is the governing body involved with SEND?

John Gardiner is the governor with responsibility for SEND. It is his job to ensure families and children can access the right services to support them. He also visits school and spends time with the SENDCo, observes SEND practice, meets children and teachers and reports back to the governing body.


The SENDCo also provides reports to governors about how special needs are being supported in school, and how well this support is working.


The governing body will challenge, support and advise the Headteacher on appropriate provision.


12. How do we help children with SEND with transition?

We support children in three situations:

1. Joining St John's

2. Moving up a class in St John's

3. Moving to another setting


We recognise that transition is stressful for most people and can be even more difficult for children with SEND. We therefore try and give support in appropriate ways, depending on the nature of the need, and the type of transition the child is experiencing.

Communication is key. We ensure that children know what is going to happen and when. We keep routines as similar as possible and provide support (eg Now/Next boards and visual timetables). Staff that will be working with the child will make several visits to see them in their own classroom before they move rooms. Children will make several visits to the new room before the transition occurs. We offer extra transition sessions for children that we have identified as struggling with transition (even if they do not have an identified special need). Staff that will be working with the child will have had training if needed and parents will have been introduced to any new staff/ routines, etc.


If a child is leaving to join another setting we will ensure that the teacher and the SENDCo liaise with the new school so that all relevant paperwork and information has been shared. We will invite staff to visit the child in our setting so that their needs can be better understood.


13.What can I do if I am unhappy with the provision for my child?

We try to provide suitable provision for all children where we can make reasonable adjustments. If you are unhappy we would like to discuss this with you. You can contact Lisa Ringham, our SENDCo to make an appointment to discuss your concerns.


If you have a complaint, please contact Carolyn Seymour, the Headteacher. Our school and governing body take complaints seriously. For further information, please see our complaints policy on the website.


14. What is our policy on SEND?

Please see our SEND policy on our website.